Virtual Gallery: The Paintings held at the Judges Lodgings
As a local site of historical interest, Buckinghamshire Council has opened the doors to the Judges Lodgings for public tours every September, to showcase its Victorian architecture, furniture, and art. With many public buildings still closed or with limited access, the Virtual History Festival is proud to present a virtual gallery of the paintings depicting local dignitaries and Buckinghamshire scenes, all held at the Judges Lodgings.
From the first female chairman of the County Council, to the impressionist works of ‘Manchester’s Monet’, enjoy this virtual tour from the comfort of your own home!
Gillian Miscampbell OBE (b.1935), by James Orr, first female chairman of Buckinghamshire County Council (1989-1993). Her portrait hangs above the doorway to the Members’ Lounge.
Aylesbury from Court Farm Fields by N. Whittock, c1840. The County Hall is the red brick building on the upper right hand side.
Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher, 6th Baronet (1889-1969) Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire (1954-1961) by Norman Hepple. Sir Henry may have been better known at the time by his pen name, Henry Wade, as a leading crime fiction author and founding member of the Detection Club. His portrait hangs in the Small Dining Room.
Heath Pond, Leighton Buzzard, by Wynford Dewhurst (1864-1941). While he was known as ‘Manhester’s Monet’, Dewhurst lived in Buckinghamshire for a time in the early 20th Century, and was a Member of the County Council from 1907 to 1910. He gifted this painting to the council, it now hangs in the Small Dining Room.
An impressive reproduction of Thomas Gainsborough’s The Blue Boy (1770) from the late 19th century, by R.C. Saunders. It hangs over one of the fireplaces in the Large Dining Room.
Hunting Party Attacked by Wolves, reproduction after the studio of Rubens. This large artwork is hung on the staircase to the first floor.
James T. Ireland (1915-2006), by Romeo di Girolamo (b.1939). Ireland was chairman of Buckinghamshire County Council between 1973-1981 – this extraordinary painting is influenced by his role in the founding of Milton Keynes, and parts of Buckinghamshire are identifiable in the painting. It hangs in the landing on the first floor, along with many other former chairman portraits.
An exciting addition to the portrait collection in 2014 was this oil on copper of John Egerton, 3rd Earl of Bridgwater (1646-1701), Member of Parliament for Buckinghamshire in the 1680s, and Lord Lieutenant for the county between 1686-1687 and 1689-1701. This diminutive portrait, thought to be after Sir Godfrey Kneller (1646-1723), is only a few inches tall, and hangs by the doorway to the Large Dining Room, in the Members’ Lounge.
Cattle Scene, by Johann Heinrich Roos (1631-1685). This painting hangs on the staircase to the first floor.
George Grenville Nugent Temple (1753-1813) 1st Marquess of Buckingham, of Stowe House, after Joshua Reynolds (1723–1792). Also 2nd Earl Temple, he was Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire between 1782-1813. His portrait sits adjacent to that of his great-grandson, 3nd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos, on the wall of the Large Dining Room.
Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 3rd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1823-1889), Lord Lieutenant for Buckinghamshire 1868-1889 and alderman for the new County Council, though he died prematurely before the first council meeting. The 3rd Duke saved Stowe from ruin after the exploits of his father, the 2nd Duke, and was well respected by his peers. His death was sadly noted in the minute book for the first council meeting in April 1889.
Henry William Cripps, Esq. (1815–1899), QC, JP by William Carter (1863–1939). Cripps was the first chairman of the County Council from 1889-1897. One of two portraits of Cripps to be found on the first floor landing, this was the first of a long series of formal portraits of council chairmen. There were only 13 chairmen in the first 112 years of the council, then in 2001 the role became a one year tenure.